Campus Planning Survey
This is your chance to send the Facilities Committee your comments or suggestions. Please complete the online parish survey.
As I continue in my role as pastor of Saint Columbkille, I am more and more delighted to be here. Everything we do is to fulfill our mission: Go and Make Disciples. I’ve been a priest since 1980 and have been stationed all around the world. I’ve never heard of a parish where everyone knows the parish mission and lives it like the way it happens at St. Columbkille. At Ceili, Kent Riesberg, one of last year’s Spirit of St. Columbkille award winners, said, “I don’t know the mission of my company, but I do for my parish, Go and Make Disciples.”
The facilities committee asked me to write about my dream parish. It is quite possible that they sort of take this parish for granted and don’t realize that most of the things I want to see in a parish are already here.
So I can’t talk about my dream parish without emphasizing that most of it is already being lived here. This parish does not need a change of direction. We just need to keep moving forward and continue to provide the spaces and resources that allow all our mission-based activities to occur.
With that in mind, here is what I’m looking at for our dream parish:
- That we no longer say “no” to some groups who want to learn and grow because we don’t have space;
- That we recognize the reality of young working families who want to nourish their children in faith and design our preschool and a daycare to meet their needs;
- That we will get a few more people involved in Eucharistic Adoration so someone is praying, in our chapel, 24 hours a day seven days a week;
- That we provide a stage where we can bring in outside speakers and events, where RE can present their programs and the school can hold their concerts;
- That the parking lot provide plenty of entrances/exits and traffic flow so getting to church isn’t stressful; That the air conditioning units which are beyond their expected life cycle be replaced;
- That we no longer have a substandard gym; and
- There be space where we can gather as a family community after Masses.
This is my dream.
I have asked the facilities committee to present a plan where we can accomplish these tasks. They haven’t finished their planning, but the St. Columbkille Campus Plan (Jan. 2017) (1.13 MB PDF) shows they are close. They will soon present their final findings to the Parish Council, Finance Council and me, and we’ll see what we can accomplish without taking on any long term debt.
Please give them any feedback you think would be helpful by taking the on-line survey.
We know a project of this size will surely require the full support of the parish. We want to continue to explore the needs of the parish and how we can work to better accomplish our mission to Go and Make Disciples.